Nice to connect with you! So glad you made the click over!
I’m what you might call a multi-media maven: I write for magazines, blogs, websites, and radio and television stations. But really, I’m just trying to make a living as a full-time freelance writer, reporter and editor.
I’m a stickler for grammar, spelling and deadlines, but I’m not fussy about words. I use words like ‘stuff,’ ‘really,’ ‘good,’ and ‘nice.’ Please don’t tell my high school English teacher. Or my journalism profs at Northwestern (see how I dropped that in there?).
When I’m not pounding keys (and sometimes when I am), I’m a full-time mummy to CC. I’m also a wife, tennis pro, devoted daughter/friend/sister/aunt, coupon clipper, flash sale addict, OperationPaperback volunteer and animal lover.
Here’s the fun-what-makes-me-me stuff:
I love Boston and Minnesota sports teams. I cheer for Federer more than Nadal. And Clijsters more than the Williams sisters. I speak enough French to order food, buy tickets, find a restroom, navigate the metro, and teach my daughter the basics. I recycle everything I possibly can. I seriously doubt the skinny jeans that I bought when I had my tonsils out will ever fit again. I’m addicted to television. I love – LOVE – my friends and family. I desperately want a Whole Foods and Dunkin’ Donuts to set up shop here. I wish muffins weren’t glorified cake. I feel at home in the water.
Here’s the necessary-tell-you-why-I’m-qualified-to-work-for-you stuff:
My work experience stretches from ESPN Radio where I wrote, produced and edited a nightly hour-long program called ‘Expanded SportsCenter’ to overseeing production, from concept to completion, of several episodes of History Channel’s top-rated MonsterQuest series.
I regularly contribute to publications and websites across the country and I take on special copywriting and marketing projects for agencies and non-profit organizations. Colleagues often invite me to assist them with teaching communication classes at local colleges and the North Dakota National Guard and Fargo Fire Department have repeatedly asked me to conduct media training seminars for their soldiers and airmen and firefighters.
After earning a Master of Science degree in Journalism from the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University in 2004, I spent nearly eight years as a local television and radio reporter/anchor.
To share my personal Brand of crisp, concise and catchy writing with a larger audience through outlets that could utilize a professional writer, social networker, blogger, or editor. Experience in creating effective and engaging copy for businesses, magazines, television, Web sites and radio.
Lake and Home Magazine, Fergus Falls, MN | July 2008 – present
- Freelance contributor to magazine focusing on housing and lifestyle for lake home owners and renters.
- Specialize in writing articles about landscaping, remodeling, building and gardening.
On The Minds of Moms, Fargo, ND | June 2009 – present
- Ongoing freelance writer to bi-monthly magazine for, and about, parenting.
- Earned contract as primary writer for issue’s 2,000+ word profile pieces.
The Village Family Magazine, Fargo, ND | October 2009 – present
- Provide freelance articles on parenting, fitness, and finance to bimonthly magazine that operates as an arm of a full-range social services agency.
- Write monthly ‘Mom’s View’ column offering humorous angle on life as a mom.
Area Woman Magazine, Fargo, ND | January 2010 – present
- Contribute articles via contract to women’s- and lifestyle-magazine in Fargo area.
- Previous work includes 50th anniversary profile piece on hair design school.
Parents and Kids Magazine, Jackson, MS | January 2009 – present
- Bi-monthly contributor of parenting and lifestyle articles.
- Past entries include baby sign language and outdoor activities for families.
Minnesota Good Age Magazine, Minneapolis, MN | March 2011 – present
- Craft lifestyle and wellness articles geared toward key demographic age 50+
- Wrote May 2011 cover story
The Vacation Gals Web site
- Craft travel-oriented blog articles for www.thevacationgals.com, finalist for ‘Best Travel Weblog’ in 2010 Bloggie Awards.
My First Baby Video Web site
- Leading featured first-time mother for inaugural parenting Web site, www.myfirstbaby.com. Cast from pool of thousands of candidates nationally by Meredith Video Studios and Graco Baby Products (lead sponsor).
- Create topical webisodes on pregnancy and parenting topics. One of site’s most popular participants with videos receiving more than 500 views.
- Author personal blog, www.talesofan-almost-mommy.blogspot.com.
- Familiar with various blogging platforms such as Blogger and WordPress.
- Proficient in social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook with a collective following exceeding 1000.
General Assignment Reporter, KVLY-TV, KXJB-TV, Fargo, ND 2005-2011
- Award-winning reporter/anchor who produces, writes and reports daily news stories on deadline for five highly-rated nightly newscasts.
- Maintains overall newscast integrity and quality as general assignment reporter.
- Works cooperatively with assignment editor, producers, photographers and anchors in making final decisions for story purpose and video use.
- Performs significant live and spot news reporting.
- Enterprise hard news and feature stories to fit station’s overall mission and demographic
Morning Anchor, KFGO AM 790, Radio Fargo-Moorhead, Fargo, ND 2010 – present
- Produce, write, edit and deliver on-air news reports for Marconi award-winning news radio station.
- Weekly reports consistently reach top market share of audience in Red River Valley
Producer, Writer, Director, Video Arts Studios, Fargo, ND 2007-2008
- Oversaw production, including script writing, researching, and editing, of several episodes for The History Channel’s top-rated MonsterQuest series.
- Produced, from concept to completion, numerous television newsmagazine stories for The Hallmark Channel.
- Wrote and designed company newsletters and press releases.
Radio Co-host, Go Radio/Triad Broadcasting 2006-2007
- Performed morning show co-host duties for 3-hour FM radio program on as-needed basis.
- Crafted and delivered on-air news and entertainment segments.
- Experience as writer, editor and producer of electronic newsletters, and various corporate and business materials including news releases and promotional flyers.
- Fluent in various journalistic and grammar styles, including AP and MLA.
- Skilled in copyediting, content editing, and proofreading.
- General Assignment Reporter, WDAY-TV, Fargo, ND (2004-2005)
- Production Assistant Intern, Sky Sports News, London, England (2004)
- Washington, DC Correspondent, KAJX-FM, Aspen, CO (2004)
- General Assignment Reporter/Producer, WYCC-TV, Chicago, IL (2003)
- “Sportscenter” Writer/Producer, ESPN Radio, Bristol, Connecticut (2001-2002)
- Sports Producer, WVII ABC-7, Bangor, Maine (2001)
- Media Coordinator, US Open, Flushing Meadows, New York (2001)
- Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism, Master of Journalism, 2004 GPA 3.4
- Wheaton College, Bachelor of Arts, Economics, 2001 GPA 3.3
- Boston University Study Abroad Internship Program, Sydney, Australia
- IES, Ecole Superieur de Commerce de Dijon, Dijon, France
- 2010 Great Plains Associate Press Broadcast Awards: General Reporting Honorable Mention, “Dog CPR”
- 2008 North Dakota Associated Press Broadcast Awards: Spot/Hard News Second Place, “Home Explosion”
- 2007 Minnesota AP Broadcast Awards: TV CLASS I – Spot/Hard News First Place, “Browns Valley Flood”
- 2007 North Dakota Associated Press Broadcast Awards: Spot/Hard News First Place, “Browns Valley Flood”
- North Dakota Professional Communicators
- National Federation of Press Women
- United States Professional Tennis Association
Available upon request